Monday, December 13, 2010

From the top

I just spent my entire Sunday - excluding the hours spent drinking Manny's whilst watching artists do their thing on the stage of the 9lb, making gluten free, organic mac-n-cheese in the wee hours or sleeping - PACKING!  Well, maybe not just packing, but doing everything one does in preparations to leave home for almost 3 months. I also use the term "home" loosely, very loosely and after having so many "nightmares" about forgetting plug adapters at home and bringing a Nano with the same music from Hood to Coast, you'd think I wouldn't leave updating my Nano as the last choir of the night but here I am on one computer typing in you my new dear blog and to my right, my other computer, spiffifying my Nano w/ new music.  Those nightmares also included Google setting up a small office on the school grounds of Holy Names Bela Bela, Lesotho, Africa.  I have no idea what the fuck that means!

I debated whether to do a blog for my upcoming adventures for various reasons, many of which are utterly boring so no need to rehash my internal monologue with myself, but I have succumb to peer pressure.  What can I say?  I'm weak.  Plus, I got this handy little netbook so I could learn French while in Africa for 2 months so may as well put the keyboard to use and make sure I actually document this adventure, unlike last time when I tried the old school pen and paper route.  Writing hurts!  To kick this all off, I feel it necessary to do a run down of my 2010 thus far.  The year has been an absolute cluster fuck of glorious madness and each and every step has lead me to exactly the spot I'm at today.  Hold on to your pants, this year has been wild!

January:

  • Rang in the New Year to explosions erupting and effigies engulfed in flames all over the hill side in San Francisco de Asis, Peru. 
  • That wasn't the only thing erupting and I REALLY wished the port-o dudes had come to clean out our hellacious bathroom sitch.  Yay Peru! TMI?  Prob but it's the true reality when traveling in Peru.  Consider this your warning.
  • Almost barfed over the Nazca lines
  • Altitude sickness in Cuzco was so rad and Cocoa leaves make your throat numb :)
  • Anticucho (beef heart... AH-MAZ-ING) from a street vendor in Miraflores
  • Hiked up Mountain Machu Picchu on accident
  • Worked like a slave for the man - got employee of the year and employee of the month for December
February:
  • Back to Peru!
  • Sandboarding, dune buggy riding, disco, spinning fire, gorgeous Brazilians and Germans in Huacachina 
  • Pisco gulping in Ica
  • Pool layin, V-day sailing, spa and dinner date night in Paracas
  • New friends from around the world
  • First parasite!  Wait, that's not something one wants to ever put into a "baby's first" book; although, I had quite a few of those moments this year.
  • Worked like a slave for the man
  • Made amends w/ dude
March:
  • The man said, "you be slave no more!" aka: got laid off - sobbed for 30 minutes, then started laughing with glee every moment since...
  • "Oh you know those 2 weeks I said I'd work in Africa, let's make that the entire first half of the project"
  • Made amends w/ girl
  • Sisterly trip to Ellensburg for an escape - baby sister is preggers?? wha?!  
  • "Oh wait, you know how I said let me work the entire project, how about 5 weeks do to wee baby birth"
  • Final decision made to correct a VERY expensive mistake from 2 1/2 year prior - living for free from here until, well, I can't 
  • Last day workin for the man.  Separation packages are quite lovely, I suggest everyone try it sometime.  That combined w/ my travel savings account I started years ago are money, literally.
  • I'm pretty sure I drank a lot this month
April:
  • I'm pretty sure I drank a lot this month too, maybe even more.
  • Finished NPTI
  • Worst.Date.EVER! I finally had a bad date story!  Chalk that up for another "baby's first" or maybe an addition to the bucket list and an immediate check off, bitch. (can't end sentences in a preposition but using punctuation incorrectly, TOTALLY OK)
  • Saw lots of shows - La Roux - SUCKED.  Citizen Cope - SUCKED.  Sia - AH-MAZ-ING!  Charlotte Gainsbourg - AH-MAZ-ING! Coco Rosie - AH-MAZ-ING! Melody Gardot - AH-MAZ-ING!  Maybe those weren't all in April and lord knows there were dozens more.
  • Ridiculous times in Portland, much of which cannot be discussed or I'd have to kill you
  • Because of bullet #1 and bullet #5, I quit drinking April 27th, not to be resumed until, well, last weekend.
May:
  • Hawaii w/ the wifey for her b-day
  • Ate more Bubbies than should be allowed
  • Apartment hunting with the wifey
  • Wifey and I somehow got estranged... bu bye wifey. =(
  • Who's the Foursquare Mayor of Bakery Nouveau and Howe St. Stairs?? THIS GIRL!  Oh yeah, at Haus of PowPow.
  • I don't even know what else happened this month... must be the detoxing from March/April
June
  • For not drinking you'd think I could remember what happened in June.  I'll blame the continued detox.
  • Ridiculous amounts of trips to ze spa
  • Paddle boarding commenced
  • Won W A8+ and W A4+ at NW Masters Regionals
July:
  • Made up for what June lacked!
  • Pre 4th w/ the fam at the coast, joined by extended fam
  • More paddle boarding
  • A lovely wedding
  • A absolutely rockin birthday that was almost perfect
  • Fell... well had already fallen many many moons prior but now was like REALLY falling...bad
  • Hiked up to Camp Muir and had WAY MORE FUN sliding on my ass down the side of the mountain
  • Ended up in ER post Muir thanks to massive dehydration 
  • Parking lot like woah
  • Lots more birthday wonderfulness
August:
  • Falling falling falling... still haven't quite landed
  • Chicago for Lolla!!!  RA RA RAAAA AAAHHHH!
  • Lots more shows!
  • Heaven in Leavenworth
  • Hell on the way home from Leavenworth - Have you played Angry Birds?  Effin ADDICTING!  I think the one that poops hit me while I was falling.  Or no, it's laying an egg, not pooping huh?  
  • FRONT ROW FOR GAGA!!
  • NOH8
  • HTC w/ Van 3 - No Panties!  I did not train... I.am.awesome
September:
  • Another really uneventful month - lots of bed laying and netflix
  • Taking indefinite break from rowing
  • Commence yoga 2x a day everyday of the week
  • Hey Yo!!!  Who's Foursquare Mayor of 3 of the 4 8limbs?!  Not apparently hard to do when yogi's aren't exactly techy nerds.
  • "Oh you know when I said 5 weeks, how about I be in Africa the last 2 months and instead of spending a wad on Kili, I'm going to take another 2 weeks to see lovely peeps in the EU."  Get... me... out... OF HERE!
  • 3 words - FOLSOM STREET FAIR
  • 2 more words - Latex dress
  • 1 more word - Dragonette!
  • Silence...
October:
  • Sac town for roller derby regionals!  Good friends, old friends and great derby.  Rat city and portland - BAD SPORTS!  Attempted to make mistakes but that's way more difficult to do whilst when sober.  Impossible for me, apparently.
  • Austin, TX is THE SHIT!  Austin City Limits... not so much.  
  • M.I.A. was the worst performer I had seen since Hole in 1999 - debating whether to give that drunk another chance
  • Best BBQ I've ever eatin - SALT LICK and not the one in the effin airport fools, the one about 25 mi outside of Austin.  I hate BBQ sauce.  I drank their BBQ sauce!  Mmm... nom nom nom.
  • Cowboy boot cherry popped @ Allens Boots
  • Great friends, amazingly good times
  • No job, soon to be no house, no debt, no girlfriend and money in the bank - plans are a hatchin and I'm leaving town... for a very... very... VERY long time...
November
  • Back to Chicago!!  Roller derby nationals!
  • More great time with friends!  Duck game in a sports bar in Chicago w/ LOTS of old college friends
  • Chi-town tourist!
  • Purge, pack and move...
  • Living in a new to me neighborhood with a dear friend in her spare bedroom... it's like a live in storage unit.
  • Let the demon battle begin!  Alright round 2 o travel... I'm ready for you... I think.  4 months of yoga in India will help me know just how ready I am.
  • MY ADORABLE NEPHEW WAS BORN!!  guh!!  So in love!  so so sooooo in love w/ him.
  • Silence was broken...my week was doubly made
  • Wrist injury from holding said adorable nephew... totally worth it!
  • SNOMG 2010!
  • That damn pooping/egg laying bird came back
  • Orphan Thanksgiving and I made the best god damn salad EVER
  • Leaving is going to be bittersweet
December:
  • God that Manny's looks delicious!  Mmm... it is... mmm... give me one!  Nom nom nom... well, I guess it's better to have a first drink in 7 months w/ good friends than by myself in Belgium.  Hey tolerance, where'd you go?!
  • More nephew time!
  • More crazy time!
  • House is officially no longer mine, time.
  • I'm ready but I'm not for what's to come.... what is to come anyway?  I guess it'll unfold all right here, after the fact of course ;)
xxxo -
dirty and bruised

No comments:

Post a Comment