Thursday, December 16, 2010

Meet the Kardashians

Thursday, 16.December.2010 - 1:01am (Lesotho time)


I have impeccable timing with choosing flights, or more generally applicable, times to go through Customers when traveling internationally.  When I went to Peru last February, 3 weeks after I had just returned from said country, I walked through the customs area to hordes of people with trumpets, trombones, drums and other various marching band type flare and tons of signs and banners.  Me, being only somewhat fluent in English and at that time, only knowing a handful of key Spanish words such as baƱo, cerveza and loco, couldn’t for the life of me understand what the signs read.  “Oh wow!  They must really appreciate returning visitors to this fair country!” I thought.  Ok, I didn’t really think that but low and behold, moments later, the former President of Peru came through the customs area.  Celebrity – awesome!

Today, well, two days ago at this point I guess, while sitting at the gate, everyone in their seat and ready to go, just, sitting, we got word of some ice shenanigans in MN that was causing a delay of baggage to get delivered to the plane?  WTF?!  The doors were closed and we were about to leave, wouldn’t everyone’s luggage, who was on the plane, come with them??  I was so confused but whatever.  “Don’t worry, even with this minor delay we are still going to make INCREDIBLE time to Johannesburg of only (yes, he said “only”) 14 hours!  So we should still arrive before our scheduled arrival.”

--Fast forward 15 hours –

We FINALLY arrive, I FINALLY get through customs, I FINALLY manage to recover both the bags I checked, (hallelujah, thank you Jesus!!) and I’m greeted by Rome as I round the corner and first thing she says to me, “You were just on the same flight w/ the Kardashians!  It’s been absolutely nuts in here.”  WTF?!  So I guess that Kardashians double as “baggage from MN.”  Awesome!  =)

Just to do a time/reality check of what state I’m in right now.  I woke up in Seattle at 4am, Tuesday, 14 of December and I just arrived at Holy Names in Bela Bela, Lesotho at 12:30am, Thursday, 16 of December and I slept maybe an hour total on both flights.  It’s now 1:12am as I type, and conveniently, thanks to an hour or so sleep on the drive from Jo-burg, I’m wide awake and have to actually wake up to start working at 5am. 

Did anyone else just die a little reading that like I did typing it?


1 comment:

  1. you're funny. i like your kardashian joke too...good touch. :)

    I'm glad you got there safe and sound!!!!

    love long time,
    jacqui

    ReplyDelete