Friday, January 21, 2011

Jesabel

I suck and haven't had the time to compile my journals, and actually, I haven't written much because I'm trying to relish every last moment I have in the country I really am not looking forward to leaving.  I've chosen time with people vs time with myself and my writings.  On that note though, I've bullet pointed some highlights of the past 2 weeks so I can remember them and reflect upon them later

So with that...
  • Sponsoring one of my favorite girls here (school and board/food) for a year because she didn’t pass Form C and her government sponsorship is no more because she failed.  21 year old, orphaned 4 years ago and is quite possibly HIV positive and continued illness last year played a major role in her challenges during school. 
  • Exposing Bokong, the adorably beautiful little openly gay boy on campus (one of two) to Sia and Florence and the Machine and he loves them both, “bold, underline, italic!”
  • Matela’s soccer game
  • Insane connection with the girls
  • Rosemary finally smiling after she had a few talks with Sr. Catherine and Florence
  • Smashing my pinky toe on a god damn, dining room chair, of all things!
  • Rome giving me compliments
  • Daddy saying, “just your presence calms me.”  We are the keeper of each other’s sanity.
  • Exchanging music with Tamaki
  • Doing the little things I love most when at home – early morning workout and cooking
  • Showing pics of my family and friends at home to my friends here
  • Discussion with Daddy on “how have these experiences changed you?”
  • Rome, “Are you easy to love?”
  • School starts
  • Nkwelle and Rolland aren’t really brothers, just from the same tribe in Cameroon and have known each other since college and are more than best friends
  • Framing/grinding/screwing master
  • Realizing, for sanity, I need to stay in the US until my June yoga class and THEN be gone for an extended period of time, at least through the next LUCOF project
  • Lesotho dynamic
  • 71 year old, camo skirt wearing, South African born, toothless Sr. Agnus who wants to hide me next week so I can’t leave
  • Continually, literally living up to my blog name, unintentionally
  • Somehow avoiding getting killed by the homicidal grinder
  • Sr. Agnus doing a little shimmy shake w/ me after the good bye celebration

I don't want to leave.  I'm going to be a complete mess on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment