Sunday, January 30, 2011

Zoning

It has been, quite literally, non-stop action in Cape Town since I landed and I have to wake early in the AM to catch the train into the city centre to meet up with Tess and Megan for our day of gallivanting at the vineyards.  My life, does NOT suck!  It's been really wonderful traveling with those two, all 3 of us very low key and go with the flow of whatever happens but able to work with a loose plan - best way to travel.  The best part about traveling with them, all of us were in Lesotho and all of us have been reflecting on what just happened the last 2 weeks-3 months of our lives (each of us was there for a different length of time).  Tessa heard someone speaking Sesotho on the train coming back into Cape Town from Simon's Town and wanted to cry and I stood on the edge of the beach and asked the girls, "I wonder what the kids would think if we took them and brought them right here?"  We can't stop thinking about them and we miss it terribly.


I'm really trying to figure out the class/race dynamic of this city too and I have a feeling it depends on who you ask, kind of like what people think of gays in the US.  The answer depends on where you're at, what age you're talking to, what background someone comes from, etc, but it is very clear crime is high since the trains stop running after 7:30pm, which is making for expensive travel for me, being just outside the city centre, and I've never had so many people warn me to have eyes in the back of my head or tell me not to do certain things, like walk from the train station to Tess and Megan's hostel on a Sunday morning.


Excluding some of those odd things, I fucking love this city and BAD!  Seattle has nothing on the shear beauty of this place and I can totally see myself attempting to find a job as a yoga instructor, or something, here post travels.  It's just a thought since we all know I'm not planning ANYTHING that far into the future.  


Since I can't stop thinking about all my friends in Lesotho, I managed to find a track they play on repeat and it makes me so happy and nostalgic.  Food and music, those are the 2 things I want to experience in every country I go to... picture this scene, forever ingrained into my mushy brain:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AHO6WoAeK0  
Last night in Lesotho, dance party, the girls had just walked me back to the "nun palace," I looked up and saw the 4 days of non-stop rain soaked sky had parted to show all the millions of stars, I sat on the ground, staring, sobbing and this song was blasting from NTJA-PELI (the hall we built in '08). This song will forever be in my heart. 


More later friends.  I'm off to sleep and the wind is howling as the clouds and cool air literally pour in over the mountain.  God... I love this part of the world!


xxxo 
dirty, bruised, a bit burnt and a wee blistered

No comments:

Post a Comment